Married 30+ years to the same sweet man & plan to hang on to him! Pray for your family daily!! If you don't... who will?

Monday, July 5, 2010

Corncakes: Fourth of July leftovers?

I was looking through my July copy of 
Better Homes & Gardens magazine this morning 
and came upon this recipe:

 Oh my... I have leftover corn on the cob!
So I came in from working (a little) in the yard, while Sweet Hubby was still out mowing and put this together for lunch!

I didn't make the relish, didn't make an entire batch and changed up a few things a little tiny bit, but... 
YUM!

To begin with, there was just the 2 of us so I halved the recipe.

Cut the kernels off 2 leftover ears of corn.

Dice a quarter of an onion and sauteé with the corn in about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet until the onions are tender.

Meanwhile, as the corn & onions are cooking, 
mix together one egg and ½ cup buttermilk.

Well... I didn't have any buttermilk, 
but I had ½ cup milk that was questionable, 
so I added a litte vinegar (½ tsp?) to simulate buttermilk.

Add 3/8 cup of instant polenta mix and ¼ cup flour.  
I used Jiffy mix.
(BHG's recipe calls for polenta mix ... oh well)

Next add ¾ teaspoon baking powder,
scant ½ teaspoon baking soda,
and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
OR
a seasoning salt.
(I used Miracle Blend from Alden Mills)

When the onions and corn kernels are tender
half the mix is to be processed until smooth.
I was too lazy to get out my food processor
so I used my Pampered Chef chopper.
I hardly ever use it
and the amount I needed to chop was perfect.

Next add both the processed corn/onion mix 

and the rest from the pan to the liquid mixture and blend.
Drop about ¼ cup mix into heated olive oil in a skillet 

and brown on both sides.
They may not be pretty
but they are yummy!
I served with sour cream and homemade

Shaybert's Corn Cakes
olive oil
1 cup fresh cooked corn kernels
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup buttermilk (see above)
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/8 cup Jiffy cornbread mix
¼ cup flour
¾ tsp baking powder
scant 1 tsp baking soda
¼ Miracle Blend seasoning
sour cream



No comments: