Married 30+ years to the same sweet man & plan to hang on to him! Pray for your family daily!! If you don't... who will?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What's On Your Wall Wednesday


I've been out of the loop, I've not participated in What's On Your Wall Wednesday. Probably because usually it's crunch time mid-week for teaching, getting ready for Bible Study, etc. But today, I'm home due to the ice on the roads and decided to join in. I'm late to the party so not on the Mr. Linky, but that's okay.

By our front door is a round mirror above the treadle sewing machine I bought probably 20+ years ago. It really works and I used to sew dresses for my girls on this beauty!


This wall has the thermostat control on it
and not much wider than you see here,
so this is my solution.
An initial and an angel watching over us.


After my Nana H passed away, my dad brought back a few little things for me.
This mirror is plaster cast
gold leaf.
And my kids were none too gentle on it
over the years.
It needs a little attention,
but I still LOVE it!
I saw the original painting (at the top) in the Louvre.
But the photo of it is on

35mm film & I haven't scanned it to show today.

The label says "LEBRUN Élisabeth, Louise, Vigee (Mme)
Peint_ _ (1755-1842) par elle même

"Blue Nude"
My mom painted this when I was about 6.
My mother was very artistic but as a single mom didn't have a whole lot of time & opportunity to express her talent.
I remember being dragged to art supply stores and having my own sets of charcoals and watercolor supplies.
This is the only remaining art item I have found in her stuff so far and cherish it.



What's on YOUR wall?
Edit: I never knew that my Nana's mirror is a trumeau. I love it when I learn something! I googled a few and some are $$$!
And I also was unaware that this was the very first WOYWW! Dumb luck is my mantra. As for my mom's painting, we have over 100 pieces of various artwork from my mom's and stepfather's place... we still haven't unwrapped most of it but I am hoping to find more of my mom's work. My stepfather's first wife was an artist, but he loved to collect unknown work that pleased him.


7 comments:

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Love that trumeau mirror...reallllly love it!

Yep, tragedy sure can throw your life into a tailspin, can't it? It can also teach us a few things about ourselves. I honestly would have thought that I'd become a blabbering emotional idiot at a such a tragedy. But I learned that I'm stronger than I thought possible & it also confirmed what I already knew...that I have a WONDERFUL family.

You should blog about your daughter's experience sometime. I have a bit but not much because I quit blogging for months after his accident. I just didn't have time.

It was nice meeting you Shay! Happy WOYWW!

Melissa Miller said...

HI SHAY, :)

YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL HOME!
LOVE THE MIRROR.

HAPPY WW! ~MELISSA :)

Anonymous said...

Just wondering how you are doing. We had 6 or so inches of snow mixed with sleet. We were out this morning. The roads are clear. We dodged the bullet this time.

Kat said...

How special that you were able to find your mother's artwork. What a priceless piece of art for you! Kathy

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What a beautiful piece that your mom did. I think it is wonderful that you have it to cherish always.
~Michelle

Kat said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I'm afraid to tell my husband about that 54 strat - he may come help you look for it haha! Thanks for visiting. Kathy

Kristens Creations said...

I'm glad you participated!! Your Nana's mirror is really pretty. I really enjoy having some of my Nanny's things to remember her by and I'm sure you do to. Love your H with the angel hanging over it. I have a B in my bookcase just like it! Kristen